Monday, September 9, 2013

Menu Plan, Week 18

I'm not going to lie: it's been a ton of fun to pick up where I left off on Menu Planning. My last menu post was May 13. I was ridiculously pregnant and so ready to be un-pregnant (yet little did I know I would still be huge and miserable for another 16 days!). I had a freezer loaded with prepared, healthy meals, and I was just itching to be comfortable again.

Today, 3 months later, I am 25 pounds lighter with a rolly polly napping in the swing next to me. I am learning how to live on a few hours of interrupted sleep a day, how to not pull my hair out on the hard days of being a stay-at-home-mom of 2, and how to just live gracefully. We have devoured nearly all of our prepared meals -- they served us very well. Looking back, we've eaten less junk and fast food in this year of intentional meal planning and eat-whats-in-the-freezer than we have since I've been in charge of providing meals for myself and other humans (sooo, almost 8 years). It's been nice.

Now that things are returning to normal and I'm finding myself in the kitchen more and more, I'm going to start up the Menu Planning posts again. I enjoy sharing recipes that my family enjoys, and I really enjoy using these posts as a reminder of what we really liked/didn't care for when I plan for a new week. I've found this little series has helped me stay out of a cooking rut. I think one change I am going to make is post what we've already eaten instead of what we're about to eat for the week. That way, I can provide commentary on the recipes and maybe even pictures of my particularly pretty meals. I like pretty pictures.

So, with that said, here's what we've eaten this week:

Friday
Easy and delicious Tuna Cakes
Large romaine salad
This meal was so good. The tuna cakes made me think of a cross between a crab cake and a salmon patty, only much much easier to prepare. I want this meal to be in my regular rotation from now on.

Saturday
I really liked this dinner, but it took over an hour to prepare-- not great when I'm home alone with the boys. The chicken was delicious though (I would use half the bread crumbs called for) and the pasta made enough for 2 dinners.

Sunday
Eggplant Parmesan over leftover vegetable pasta

Monday
Labor Day with my family

Tuesday
Corn
Chips and salsa
This was one of the remaining freezer meals -- very good

Wednesday
Ceasar Chicken Sandwiches
Eggplant fries
Salad
Meh, I wasn't thrilled with this dinner. I had high expectations for the chicken, but it was just *alright*. The eggplant fries are usually very good, but I used some I had previously made and frozen. Not Good. They're way better fresh.

Thursday
Bible Study, the guys eat leftovers

Friday
Weekend at my parents' house.

Saturday
Kitchen's closed! Weekend at my parents' house.

Sunday 
Fend for yourself after evening church

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Yes, please!