Monday, February 20, 2012

The Funk

Well, all I can say is the last few days around here have been real gems.

Between illness and just an all-over feeling of blah, we just haven't been on our A-game over here. But the week didn't start like that. The week actually started out really awesome, and the boy and I really enjoyed ourselves to the hilt. And then it when downhill. And at the risk of sounding like a complainer, I want to share our week, because it's the everyday stuff that is so important.

I posted earlier about my consignment sale craziness. I had such a blast on Monday night, and I really do think that consignment sale preview nights are becoming even more exciting to me than Black Friday. The build up and anticipation far surpass what I feel on Thanksgiving night, and that's saying something. But perhaps I took it a little too far this time around? From staying out all night, the stress and excitement that comes with the deal, eating cookies and a Diet Coke later than normal, and then going from really warm to really cold environments, I'm sure I put my body through the ringer. And I know I didn't do myself any favors by staying up even later when I got home to sort and wash and fold and admire all my finds.

So yeah, didn't exactly start the week off in the most healthy way. But then Cohen and I had a fantastic playdate on Tuesday with some really great friends. We really enjoyed ourselves: playing with all kinds of fun toys, sharing everyone's sippy cups, eating pigs in a blankets and frozen bananas dipped in chocolate (yum, by the way). And then we went home and ate even more chocolate courtesy of hubby's Valentines presents.

Wednesday, Cohen woke up sick. Surprise, surprise, huh? I can't say I didn't see it coming with all the junky foods we've eaten and all the spit swapping via the sippy cup exchange. So the boy has been fighting a nasty cold since then. Such a trooper, he is.

Guess who succumbed to the germs the next day? Yup. Me. I woke up earlier than normal to get us to the pediatrician's office for our 8:30 AM well-check visit (and who is crazy enough to schedule a pedi appointment that early in the morning? This girl.). I signed us in and proceeded to corral my sick and fussy baby in the sick room for a good 30 minutes before the office manager called me up. Turns out my appointment was the day before (even though I have the appointment card that clearly says Thursday, by the way). I was beyond frustrated. I mean, why did I sit around the waiting room for 30 minutes if they had no intention of seeing us? They gave me a later appointment, and I left the office saying something passive aggressive like "Well, there goes our Thursday plans. Say thanks a lot, Cohen." We ended up setting up shop at a nearby McDonald's, eating pancakes and playing on the playground while we waited for our next appointment time.

As it turns out, because Cohen had a cold and a fever, the doctor couldn't give him his 15 month shots, so we've got to go back in a few weeks for shots. I can't help but feeling a tad bitter that Thursday was all for nothing. It did confirm my decision to shop around for a new pediatrician, though. It kind of makes me sad because I love the doctors, but the customer service has left me giving the side-eye a couple times. I originally picked this office because it's the best in the area and has the highest public rating. But they're just getting too big and too busy. And that's not for me.

The rest of the week has consisted of Cohen being a rowdy boy, Travis being a hard-working man, and me trying to just survive this icky sickness. Turns out, I'm a very high maintenance sick chick. Not necessarily something I'm proud of, but there you go.

My parents took Cohen this weekend, so he's been enjoying a few days of total spoilage, lots of attention, and yummy junk food, I'm sure. It's a little surreal to sit in a quiet house, surrounded by all his stuff, and know he's not just napping upstairs. It's nice to get a little vacation from life and have real dates with my husband, but I'm not myself without my baby. I want him to spend weekends away with family. I want him to be comfortable for little chunks of time without being with me. I want him to be able to sleep somewhere other than just his crib. But now I want him home :)

And I am looking forward to a fresh start this week. There are new opportunities on the horizon and lots of fun stuff planned. Maybe, just maybe, I can shake off this funk and get back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Yes, please!