Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On Clearing the Clutter

This first few days of the New Year has been all about cleaning house over here.

Don't let me fool you, there was very little actual cleaning of the house going on. I'm talking more of a metaphorical cleaning. Because, y'all, I just don't like to clean.

I mean, I like clean things. I like when things are clean. But I don't like to mess with dirty things. I get weird about touching things I don't think are clean.

My life has a tendency to accumulate dust and clutter. I'm not very good about clearing out the stuff that takes up unnecessary room in my heart. You know the stuff I'm talking about -- that stuff that isn't necessarily bad in itself, but it just doesn't produce anything good in my mind and heart. I've had a good amount of that stuff floating around lately.

And as I rang in the New Year a few days ago, I spent time praying over 2012 and seeking God's guidance for how to make this year more productive and more honorable to Him. His answer came quickly, like before I even finished my sentence. And if you're not in the practice of talking to God, you're thinking I'm a total nut-job right now. But God does, indeed, speak. To my heart. And when you hear Him, you know it's Him.

Let go of the past.


Learn and move on. Dwell no longer. Clear your life of its clutter and make more room for Jesus.

I'm not going to get into the specifics of what that means for me, but you get the idea. And you know, sometimes it's hard to move on. It's hard to leave behind the people and memories and places and activities that have at one time played a very important role in your life.

But in order for growth to occur, change has to be made. In order to be more for God, I have to be less for myself.

And then, just as I began to question if this is what God really wants me to do (because I don't know about you, but I'm quite skilled in second guessing: myself, others, and God), a friend went and shared this with me:

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. Isaiah 43:18

Ok, Lord. I hear You. Message received.

This year, the goal for my life is simple: Do more, be more, give more to honor the Lord.

Another blogger is praying for just one. One person this year who will come to belief in God simply by seeing His grace alive in her life. I like that. But I'm not limiting God to just one. Lord, I would be humbled and blessed and honored if You would use my life to reach as many people as You desire. That's a lot of pressure, but I'm up for it.

I'll leave you with a verse: Micah 6:8. You probably know it.

NKJV: He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly,  to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

NASB: He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

I'm not typically one who pays much attention to newer translations, but I do like the way it's worded in The Message-- 

The Message: But He's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don't take yourself too seriously— take God seriously.


How are you going to live 2012? Do you have any goals or a specific direction you'd like to go? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! It is hard to let go!! With Gods help you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your last verse!! It's so easy to make things complicated (Im a master at it!), when what God wants from us is beautifully simple!! I LOVE that your blog always makes me think and pray!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Yes, please!