Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Restless

Linking up with Call me blessed for We Encourage Tuesday

Call Me Blessed

I have been having touble sleeping lately. My body is tired, my eyelids are heavy, but my mind races far too much for me to be able to calm down and sleep. My heart is searching. My soul seems to be in turmoil. I lie in bed for hours, thinking. Praying. Begging for rest.

The baby's been having trouble sleeping lately, too. His poor body is not treating him kindly these days: a cold, growth spurts, new teeth, developmental milestones. They're all teaming up to destroy his otherwise pretty awesome sleep schedule.

Some nights, when my heart hurts too much from hearing his miserable cries, I will go into his room, pick him up, and rock him until he settles into a peaceful sleep. I sing to him, I rub his back, I tell him all about my love for him that grows stronger and stronger each day.

Hush baby, I'm here. I've got you; you can rest now.

As I comfort my child, I feel the Lord wrap his arms around me and sing His love songs to me and whisper softly in my ear.

Hush daughter, I'm here. I've got you; you can rest now. 

What peace to be wrapped in my Father's arms! And yet, I wonder how many times I strain against his embrace and struggle to loosen myself the same way Cohen does before he realizes he's safe with momma. Dear heart, trust and rest. Your Father's in charge.

"Come to Me all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. For I’m gently and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" Matthew 11:28-30

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Yes, please!