Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I'm About To Talk About Poop

Alright, there you have it. Consider the title of this post a warning. We'll be discussing all things potty today, so if you're not into that kind of thing, you might want to slowly back out now. It's ok -- I'll totally understand.

As Cohen inches closer to 2 years old, I'm starting to think about some of the things we'll be exposed to in the near future. Potty training is on the forefront. And that terrifies me (I'm really fighting the urge to type scares the crap out of me because obviously I'm a 9 year old boy and find that hilarious). Honestly, most of Cohen's developmental milestones have scared me. I don't know if it's just that Cohen is changing up our normal or what, but starting solds? crawling? walking? Yeah, they all had me sweating bullets.

I also think that because he's reached these milestones so early, I've had less time to prepare for them than I'd like. And I'll be the very first to tell you: I am NOT ready for potty training. Not in the least bit. We actually have a potty, but I hide it because I just don't want to think about it. Not yet.

So you can imagine the dread that rises in my chest each time Cohen does or says something to suggest that he's becoming more aware of his elimination and less patient with his diapers. Because I just know that he's getting one step closer to potty training. And I'm not there yet. Not because it means my child is growing up and leaving babyhood in his dust. No, I'm fine with that (most days). I'm just genuinely scared of the potty training process. And diapers are so easy. (I'm reminded that I said the same exact thing about bottles when we first started feeding him solids. "It's a daunting idea to know that once we start with solids, I'll actually have to feed this baby multiple times a day. Bottles are just so easy.")

My plan is to be open to potty training by the time Cohen turns 2 and really start to freak out if he's not trained by his third birthday. I've always heard that summertime is the best time to potty train as you can just stay outside with you naked child for a few days while you work on potty training. If he has an accident, it's not a big deal (and nothing the dogs haven't done for the past 5 years).

Ultimately, I want to start training at the perfect time for him. I don't want to start too early and have this be a source of frustration and confusion, but I also don't want to miss the cues and have him still in diapers when he's clearly ready for the potty. I'd imagine that would be just as confusing and frustrating. So I guess right now I'm just trying to figure out when is the perfect time for him. Although, I have a good idea that when it's time, we'll all sort of ... know. That's how it's been with all the other milestones, at least.

As of today, here are the clues Cohen is giving to show me he's inching closer to potty training:
  • he will take off-- or try to take off-- his diaper when it's dirty
  • if there's poop in his diaper, he won't think twice about putting his hand back there and pulling it out
  • if he's pooped and I ask him about it, he'll point to his diaper and say "Poop."
  • we have given his anatomy a name, and he identifies it by it's name
  • while he is peeing, he will occaisionally point to his diaper and say "Pee pee."
  • he is very interested in what's behind his diaper
  • he is very interested in the potty and waching us use it
  • he is extremely responsive to praise and will do almost anything to get it
Here are the clues I'm waiting to see from Cohen before I start wondering if it's really time:
  • I want to see him upset that he's got a dirty diaper
  • I want him to request diaper changes (currently he runs away when I get a diaper and wipes)
  • I want him to get a little older and able to hold a conversation a little better
  • I want him to associate the potty with "poop" and "pee pee"
  • I want him to realize that he's about to eliminate and show the signs more consistently

1 comment:

  1. Okay you got me on this post! Not that I am a sicko, but I am a mom, a former daycare provider and Nanny, so I know about poop!

    Just stumbled onto your blog. Hope you will check mine out and become a follower.

    http://vintageboomer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Yes, please!