1. After weeks, literally weeks, I finally finished my pinterest-inspired tree skirt this weekend. And it's so pretty. But it just goes to show you that, one day when people look back over my life, "Oh, that doesn't look too hard" will be my famous last words. I mean, I guess I did bring it upon myself, this difficulty. I'm the one who decided to sew a No Sew Tree Skirt. Hindsight, that probably wasn't the greatest idea, but I try to avoid situations where I burn the top layer of my skin off. And I can guarantee that I would, most definitely, have burnt my skin off had I tried to hot glue this sucker into submission.
2. We got our tree up, and it's only a few weeks past Thanksgiving. Back in our "Pre-Cohen" days, the tree was up and the house was decorated immediately upon waking up from our Black Friday afternoon nap. I fear those days are behind me, at least for a while. You know, crazy destructive toddler and all. He kind of puts a dent in my holiday decorating endeavors. Yesterday was the first day the tree was up, and within 30 minutes, the boy had uplugged the tree and was pulling it across the living room floor. Today, he hasn't paid much attention to it, so that's nice.
3. And while I'm on the subject of Christmas trees, I love having it lit up all bright in the living room, especially at night when all the other lights are turned off. If it were up to me, we'd have Christmas lights in the living room all year long.
I know, right? Enough with the Christmas tree pictures. Ok, I'll stop. For now.
4. It's been cold around here lately. Like, take your breath away cold. It's lovely. Of course, I'm not spending much time out in it; I'd much rather enjoy the cold winter weather from the comfort of my couch, under a blanket. But I love this weather. I love this time of the year. Remind me I said that in February when I'm cursing the cold and wishing for Spring.
5. Have I mentioned lately how much we love peanut butter over here? The boy is obsessed with it. He literally giggles when he sees me pull the jar out of the pantry. And now that it seems that he's gone on a meat strike, and I'm so worried about him not getting enough protein, peanut butter is the stuff. The boy loves himself a peanut butter and mashed banana sandwich.
6. I'm so thankful for God's grace. And that He extends His salvation to everyone, even the people who do absolutely horrific things we can't forgive. Around here, we're hearing the news stories of a 7 year old girl who was abducted last Friday. Soon after, she was raped, beaten, and stabbed. They found her body on Monday. Yesterday, they arrested the man they're confident did this. My heart is so heavy for what happend to this little girl. I am so sad. Naturally, I think things like, what would I do if he had gotten to Cohen instead? I'm seeing people around here say things like they hope this guy "rots in hell" and how there's a "special place in hell" for guys like this. And that hurts my heart even more. I don't think if people truly understood the eternal torment of hell and what that means, they would wish that on anyone. Don't get me wrong, I hope this guys gets a very fair punishment for the horrors he put that little girl through, but I also pray for his soul. I pray that he gets at least one more opportunity to hear the Gospel.
7. I'm thankful for new beginnings. 2012 will really be a time of new beginnings over here, and I am so thankful. God keeps us all in His hand.
8. Even though the boy's new teeth haven't broken through yet, he's feeling much better. I'm getting my happy boy back. Just look at that face, all happy and covered in mashed banana. I love him.
9. I'm thankful for toddlerhood. I know, remind me I said this next year when I'm pulling my hair out. But I really am thankful for this stage. I love watching my baby learn and process things. I love teaching him how to make animal sounds and point to the color red. I love the independence he is gaining and that he is so determined to do things I don't think he can. It's all such a blessing.
10. Sunday morning, God spoke directly to me. I love that feeling. And the realization that I am still significant enough to Him that He would use an entire church service just to encourage my heart. There truly is nothing better in life than to be a beloved child of God.
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:18
What are you thankful for this week? You can post in the comment section below if you don't have a blog to post to!