Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Wedding, and My Thoughts 6 Years Later

7 years ago, as I planned my wedding, I knew only a few things: I knew the style of dress I wanted, the colors I wanted, and the man I wanted. I knew I wanted the honeymoon, and I was excited about the cute little apartment awaiting us when we returned back to the "real world."

At 21, I was a baby bride. I had a lot to learn. Heck, at 27, I still have a lot to learn. But as I look back over that precious day, I marvel at how we've changed. The Lord has been good to us, that's for sure.


We got married in our church. I knew then that there was no better place to marry my love than our church and no better person to marry us than our pastor. That's one of my favorite parts of the day. I love that we dedicated our son in the same church 5 years later. I love that we have such strong ties to the building and the people in it. It's my home. There's something so special about worshipping my God each week in the same room where, 6 years earlier, I married my husband.



Look how young we were! Looking back on it now with the perspective I have now, I cannot believe our parents actually trusted us enough to get married, much less gave us their blessing. We were kids! But we loved the Lord and we loved each other, and the Lord has blessed us.

Here's a funny note: 10 years ago, my high school physics teacher made me look him in the eye and promise him that I would not get married until I was 25. I agreed, understanding that a person grows and changes so much in their early 20s. My plan was to not get married until I was about the age I am now. I never wanted to be a young bride. But I met Travis early in life, and we knew. If I had followed my plan instead of His, look at the life I would have missed out on!


My father walked me halfway down the aisle and lifted my veil. He gave me over to my stepfather, who walked me the remainder of the way down the aisle. They both gave me away. It was unconventional, and nobody really understood what was going on, but that was so special to me. It was so important to me that both men shared a part of that duty on that day since both men had shared a part of my life.


My absolute favorite part of our wedding were the men who prayed over us. At the beginning of our engagement, Travis and I sat down and decided on 5 Godly men who we wanted to pray over us throughout our long engagement and for our marriage. At the wedding, they each said a short prayer. I tear up even now thinking about it. That was such a special moment for Travis and I, hearing the prayers of the men who faithfully prayed for us over the past 15 months.





The night was special. I think back on it fondly. But my favorite part about the wedding was the marrige it produced. I am so thankful that the Lord chose to bless me with the husband and the life that I have. Today, I thank God for the 6 years He's given to Travis and me, and I pray for many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Yes, please!