Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cohen's Song

Much to my husband's dismay, I'm not much of a music person. I mean, yeah, I like music and I've had my share of favorite songs throughout the years, but music doesn't typically do it for me like it does for him (and according to him, all other normal people). He's a music guy. It runs in his veins. There's always a song for every situation in his life; he relates every event to an artist or a song. And honestly, I think he's the weirdo.

About a year ago, though, I stumbled across JJ Heller on a random Pandora station. I liked her voice and laid-back style. I liked the lyrics she chose to praise God. So I Googled her, and then I YouTubed her, and I eventually discovered that I really, really liked her music. So many of her songs remind me of me. Like, if I was creative enough, hers are the words I would write and the music I would create.

Maybe I'm the weirdo after all. 

No restraining orders, please. I swear I'm not trying to be blood brothers or anything.

There's this one song, titled "Boat Song" (but I've since renamed it "Cohen's Song"), that I swear was written with me in mind. I'm pretty sure it was written with romantic intentions, but it expresses exactly the way I feel towards my son. 

I hope that doesn't mean something weird or creepy.

But it's true. This song is a perfect illustration of my relationship with my son. He has my heart, my whole heart; he's had it since the first time I held him in my arms and caressed his cheek, and I'm confident he'll always have it.

And when Baby Brother comes around? Well, I'm just hoping that I grow another complete heart because I'm pretty sure he's going to own that one.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Yes, please!