Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Happy With What I've Got.

We don't have a lot, but we've got enough.

If you've ever wondered what goes through my head most days, there you go. It's not a lot, but it's enough. It's the perfect portion for us.

Since I began staying at home with the boy, I have become very aware of our resources. Maybe that's because I am no longer physically contributing to bringing those resources in, so I am conscious of what I use. Maybe because I see my husband work so hard to support our family, I don't want to waste what he supplies. Or maybe because now that I'm no longer in a place of contributing, I can see the hand of God carrying us through.

And how, when I recognize the Lord's provision, can I be unsatisfied? How can I complain about anything we lack? Because, very honestly, we lack no good thing. Our house is heated. My family is clothed. We eat 3 meals a day. We have a ministry. We are surrounded by people who love us. We are blessed, indeed.
But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. 1 Timothy 6:6-10

How easy it is to become envious! How silly to look with covetous eyes on things that I really don't want anyway, if I'm honest with myself. Paul spoke of the love of money, but I feel like, for me, the love of anything I don't have leads to evil. Money, stuff, status, position in a community or among friends. It is all just worthless stuff, but it has such power to quickly overtake me!

And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15

It's in those times, I remind myself once again, "It's enough." What right do I have to hold out my hand to receive provision from the Lord while my eye wanders?

Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. 1 Corinthians 7:17

Thank you, Lord, for the life you have assigned to me. Help me to love it daily. To focus on you and and live in such a way that You are glorified. When my eyes begin to wander, let me recogonize it quickly that I may correct my path. Thank you for both what You've given to me and, probably more importantly, what You've kept from me. Help me to live in a constant state of awareness that what I have is my perfect portion, and it is enough.

Linking up with Call Me Blessed for We Encourage.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! You don't realize how blessed we are!!
    I feel the same way have only one income. Our Lord had def. blessed us and always has! He knows what we need. We never go without!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Yes, please!