I found this picture the other day. You were just 3 months old, and you loved your Blue Dog. He was never too far from you -- in fact, he was your first visitor in the hospital when you were born. He was your very first friend.
You've since moved on from Blue Dog. You're learning the dynamics of human relationships. That will be a lifetime process, my son. You will fail in some relationships, and you will enjoy great happiness in others. Each one will teach you very valuable lessons.
I originally wanted to share with you the lessons I've learned about friendships, but I know you'll learn them all on your own. The most important thing I can tell you about friendship is what God teaches us.
How To Pick Your Friends:
- Proverbs 13:20 Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
- Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honor.
- Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
- Colossians 3:12-14 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
- Proverbs 17:17 A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.
- Proverbs 27:5-6 An open rebuke is better than hidden love! Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy
- John 15:13–15 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.
- Proverbs 17:19 Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.
- Proverbs 16:28 A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends.
- Proverbs 18:24 There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.
- Proverbs 22:24–25 Don’t befriend angry people or associate with hot-tempered people, or you will learn to be like them and endanger your soul.
I hope you are blessed with a couple true friendships in your life. When you find them, don't let them go.
I love you, little boy. Always remember that Blue Dog and I will be here to give you love and support, no matter what.